running ircd on freebsd

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Dec 29 06:56:25 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 06:22:27AM -0500, yawstick wrote:
> Its very possible that my box may be the problem and including some info
> just in case.
[snip]
> I added ircd via package add from /stand/sysinstall and it does not seem to
> want to run. It says its starting but if you look at ps -aux its not there.
> Added ircd-hybrid via make from the ports. It appears to start at boot time
> and reports a pid but ps -aux shows its not there either.

The FreeBSD port/package of ircd-hybrid logs a lot of stuff in files
located in the /var/log/ircd/ directory.  Are there any files there on
your box?  Specifically, there ought to be a file named 'ircd.log' -
are there any errors in there?

Also... I'm not sure if you're really supposed to just start
the IRC server without at least editing its configuration file, which
lives in /usr/local/etc/ircd.conf - have you edited it and set it up
for your system/box/network?

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
What would this sentence be like if pi were 3?