running ircd on freebsd

yawstick yawstick at charter.net
Fri Dec 31 06:40:49 EST 2004

It created the /var/log/ircd directory but it is empty, tried changing
permissions on the directory but no help.

Got a working ircd now. Downloaded tr-ircd5.7 and did a non ported install
tho not my strong suit.

Used /usr/local/bin for --prefix and ended up with binary in
/usr/local/bin/bin, if it is logging I havent found where, the other version
logged to /var/irclogs.

 It was looking for ircd.conf in /usr/local/bin/etc so put it there and all
seems to work.

Could not start the new version as regular user, was getting msg about suid
of root even tho was a regular user.

Started with the run as root option. Also did not seem to create a ircd.sh
script for the rc.d directory  so it would start at boot time.

Still get a protocol not supported error if trying irc from command line on
unix box tho not concerned about that.

Thanks for your help

Paul