Ircd spam filter

Adam Herscher xref at blackened.com
Sun Jun 6 20:35:15 EDT 2004

ISPs and email providers parse users private emails to filter spam (even
if only to apply a probabilistic spam rating), and users reap the benefits.

Google's new Gmail service parses users private emails to provide
targeted ad content.

Governments and law enforcement agencies parse users private emails,
phone calls, faxes, AND irc messages to prevent crime/terrorism under
the law.

Whether you agree or disagree with spam filtering, advertising, and/or
the patriot act, bringing your own politics into the codebase is never a
good idea.  Some organizations running irc servers/networks may wish to
filter private messages they consider to be spam.  Others may wish to
provide ad content.  Yet others may wish to provide an interface for law
enforcement to gain visibility into private messages -- especially if
they come in with a warrant, and are intent on doing so anyway.

Parsing private messages to profile or collect aggregate data may be
considered useful, and less of an invasion of privacy.

Finally, any expectations of privacy lie with the claims made by the
organization(s) running the irc server/network, not with the protocol's
use of the string PRIVMSG.  Channel chatter uses PRIVMSGs -- there's
certainly no expectation of privacy on a public irc channel (aren't
search engines beginning to index them?)

- Adam