Ircd spam filter

Anthony Martinez pi at pihost.us
Mon Jun 7 14:39:24 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 02:31:55PM -0400, Diane Bruce
carved this out of pure phosphors:
> Hi,
> Guess I'll dive in here somewhere in the thread.
>
> It is a very difficult balancing act in hybrid, between adding mis-features
> and features that carry enough benefit to make them worth while adding.
> Our prime focus has always been "clean, easy to debug, fast code." Others
> have taken their own approach. I'd personally rather hybrid did not end
> up looking like "unreal-ircd." (This is what Bill was alluding to.)

Quite so. unrealircd is a total crock with shit like color-stripping modes,
nicklock, yaddita... Stuff like that should be taken care of inside a bot.

Some spambots will disconnect when they recieve a bare 439 response, so one of
our coders wrote a perl script that needs a connect block.. It watches for all
new connections, and if it considers it a spambot (too many {}`_ chars in the
nick, or a set of names) it will send a bare 439 at it. It takes care of a lot
of our spambot problems.

The problem with that is he hasn't released it at all and is only in private
distribution.

Pi

--
/* Thanks to Rob `CmdrTaco' Malda for not influencing this code in any
 * way.