Support for /CODEPAGE

Lubomir Radev demond at demond.net
Mon Nov 1 10:26:43 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Paul-Andrew Joseph Miseiko wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge the IRCD does not actually modify the contents
> that comes after the : in a PRIVMSG.  So why would the IRCD need to know
> about the information the client sends it (what CODEPAGE it is) when the

because it's easier for everybody who needs it

it's easier for the users, instead of digging up for scripts that implement
this, simply to issue a /codepage or similar command and have the PRIVMSG
content translated appropriately, even to the phonetic equivalent from the
latin alphabet (in case they don't have cyrillic fonts on their client)

and it's easier for the administration, instead of trying to promote some
script solution to users (you know that 90% of them use mIRC and AFAIK
codepages are not on Khaled's schedule), to have it implemented in the
server

now, you are right in principle - this should be client's responsibility;
but it's just more convenient to have this handled by the server instead
of begging Khaled to do it (or starting a new client from scratch)

not that begging hybrid-team for that would work anyway ;) their apparent
unwillingness to provide more hooks (what's the point of hooks if you
can't hook to anything? currently there's just one, on burst) forces more
patches and less modules