7.1-current SSL

Bill Bierman bill at mu.org
Tue Nov 16 03:33:46 EST 2004

Hey folks.  I'm really pleased to see this discussing going on.  I for
one would love to, at some point, have some client <-> server encryption
available for a server admin to provide as (s)he sees fit.  A couple of
thoughts below...

Marcin Kulas wrote:

>PS.
>I'd really appreciate if hybrid team published official, working
>and tested SSL patch for h7.1. Hope there's much more people like me.

We have discussed including this, but have not yet reached a
conclusion.  If people have a patch they would like to submit for
inclusion into the contrib/ directory, please make note of this in your
postings to this list.  I have not personally looked at the patch this
thread is revolving around, nor have any of the other developers to my
knowledge, but if it's author is sufficiently confident in it's
readiness to be distributed, I will try to give it a looking over.

Also, for those who crave SSL, and cannot understand why it has not been
included in ircd-hybrid as yet, I pose to you this request.  The main
roadblock, at least in my opinion, is that there has not been a
standardized method for IRC over SSL.  Has this changed?  As I
understand it there are a few ircds these days which support SSL.  Do
they all speak the same language?  Maintaining standards and
compatibility is a very crucial focus in an ircd's development.  If we
implement SSL one way, and another ircd implements it another way, that
is two seperate protocols that a given client must be able to detect,
and adapt to, and ultimately communicate effectively with.

Cheers,

Bill