Time Delta

Paul-Andrew Joseph Miseiko esoteric at teardrop.ca
Thu Nov 18 16:08:11 EST 2004

If people restricted query packets they would not have gotten rooted.  A
simple rule of thumb is to disable things you would not use and I see no
reason why a remote client has to query my NTP version, OS version, CPU
type, et cetera.... so query packets (also known as control blocks) are
best left disabled.  Also if you are uber paranoid setting up your
firewall to only accept packets of one size, 76 bytes, will further reduce
any potential risk of running NTPD.

76 bytes = NTP packet + UDP Header + IP Header

-
Behind every great man is a great woman...and behind every great woman is some guy staring at her butt!