FW: ircd-hybrid release notification - ircd-hybrid-7.1.1

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 16:09:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 01:42:02PM -0600, Bill Bierman wrote:
> Lee H wrote:
>
> >http://www.leeh.co.uk/newcluster.txt -- I wrote that sometime early 2004
> >and it was in a 'stable' release since May 2004.  I think I also talked
> >to Bill about it, so I find it hard to believe there was no way for you
> >to realise id done this.
> >

> This is news to me.  Though it seems similar to the issue you created
> about TS6 invites, breaking compatibility with hybrid.

I just checked, I have a logfile dated 04 March 2004 where I specifically
told you id created a method to send them over encap and I was going to
remove CAP_KLN, CAP_UNKLN and CAP_CLUSTER in future.  I also told you I was
doing this because you cant send temp xlines through the current protocol.

As for invite, we both altered what was sent.  Had hybrid not modified the
INVITE protocol as well, there wouldnt have been any problems.  The problem
there was we both modified the protocol, and the modifications conflicted.

The difference with INVITE is it didnt modify existing parameters, it simply
added extra ones.  You can generally add extra parameters to commands, as
older servers will simply ignore them.  What you cant do is what you did
with XLINE, and alter the meaning of an existing parameter, because older
servers will take the parameter as having a different meaning.

Its up to hybrid where we go from here.  We can either go on ignoring each
other or we can start notifying each other of protocol changes.  I'm happy
to notify you when I change the protocol, but it has to work both ways.

I also note my email about the 707/708 numeric conflict is still unanswered.

--
-                 Lee H // anfl