TS6 ID's

Rachel Llorenna rachies at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 18:57:21 EST 2005

I'm curious as to why the TS6 documentation
(http://www.leeh.co.uk/ircd/TS6.txt) chooses to use only capital
letters and numbers for ID's, effectively making them case
insensitive. It would greatly increase the number of available unique
ID's to use both upper- and lowercase, would it not? Then, you could
reduce the number of characters and maybe save a few bytes of
bandwidth per user.

Current ID implementation (6 bytes):
[A-Z][A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9]
26*36*36*36*36*36
1572120576 users per server
(This of course assumes that I understand ID's correctly, in that ID's
need to be unique to servers only, since they will always be unique to
the network when prefixed with the SID)

My proposed idea (4 bytes):
[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9]
52*62*62*62
12393056 users per server
This is a huge amount and should be sufficient on a per-server basis
for many, many years to come. Also, remember that these are only ID's,
full UID's will be 3 characters longer since they have the SID
prefixed.

We could also modify the SID's to use only two characters:
[0-9][a-zA-Z0-9]
10*62
620 servers (It's unrealistic to have more than this on a production network..)

[0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9]
10*62*52*62*62*62
7683694720 users per network

Perhaps, though, this has something to do with the way in which the ID
hashes are set up.  Still, I somehow doubt that we would ever need
enough ID's for 1572120576 users per server.
--
Regards,

Rachel Llorenna (frequency)