SH file wont start

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Jan 5 09:59:27 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 04:42:22AM -0600, American Radio Network wrote:
> Ok, as easy as it was to setup and run hybrid 6 for some time 7 seems to be nothing but headaches.
>
> Finally broke down and used the simple configuration file and got it
> running. However when I use the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ircd-hybrid.sh
> start command I get a prompt for a password. I've looked high and low
> and for some reason I am unable to find anything about this password
> or how I go about setting it.
>
> What the heck am I missing here?

Just a wild guess here, but if this is the ircd-hybrid.sh file installed
by the FreeBSD port or package of ircd-hybrid 7, then it is asking you
for the password of the 'ircd' user.  Since the IRC server is supposed
to run as the 'ircd' user and not as root, the command used to start it
is actually "su -fm ircd -c /path/to/ircd" - that is, it performs a 'su'
to the 'ircd' user first.

If you are trying to execute /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ircd-hybrid.sh as a
normal user, then Don't Do That.  All the port/package startup scripts
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ are meant to be started as root, as the system
does at startup and shutdown.  You might get away with running this
particular script from a normal user account, since all it does is a
'su' to another user account ('ircd'), but in general, those startup
scripts may attempt to do things that only root can do.

If this is not FreeBSD, sorry for wasting the bandwidth ;)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org