[ircd-ratbox] DNS timeouts with kqueue on FreeBSD 5.4 + ULE scheduler

Trish Lynch trish at bsdunix.net
Fri Jun 10 21:48:29 EDT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> I do find it strange that (in my case) adns breaks only with the ULE
> scheduler enabled (vs. 4BSD).  Then again, I also see other "oddities"
> with ULE enabled on the same machine, such as this:

SCHED_ULE is not recommended for production use currently. Now that
doesn;t stop me from using it in certain situations (like some java video servers I
have at work, where I've found performance to be BETTER), but until it is
in such a place where all the kinks are worked out, I suspect we'll have
some weirdness in how events are handled  as well, which could
theoretically have an effect on this.

I think that while this is a worthwhile bug to bring to the FreeBSD
developers working on SCHED_ULE, its not something that should neccesarily
be considered a bug in ircd-ratbox.

Just my $.02, which means nothing since I've been inactive for so long.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16