200 character channel name limit

Joan Sarah Touzet joant at ieee.org
Sun Mar 6 13:59:48 EST 2005

One thing that is always forgotten about in these discussions is DBCS
(Double Byte Character Set) and CJKV (Chinese Japanese Korean and
Vietnamese) text processing.  For people in these languages, the RFC
means they effectively have 4-character nicknames and 100-character
topics.  These are somewhat reasonable defaults, though one might argue
that 15-character nicknames (c.f. NICKLEN=30) are more worldly.  If we
EFIGS users (English, French, Italian, German and Spanish) get twice as
many characters out of the effort, that's not such a bad thing.

Remember that IRC started as a global effort; just because EFNet now
doesn't have a lot of CJKV users doesn't mean that ircd-hybrid's
defaults shouldn't be reasonable for all languages, based on the
original RFC.

I argue that IRC still exists not because it's the perfect solution, but
because the RFC is still being followed.  If you want to deviate to some
other standard, go right ahead -- we fully support you with
configure-time options.  If you want to try and get a new RFC out there,
then you can try to build some cross-network agreements.  I will support
your efforts to get more communication in the IRC administration
community, and participate in them, but I cannot lead such efforts at
this time.  Be forewarned that this is a /lot/ of work.

-Joan

P.S.  You'll also start hearing this argument soon: storage and
bandwidth are far cheaper now than it was in 1989, so arguing on that
stance alone doesn't hold much water.

Thus spake Rachel Llorenna (rachies at gmail.com):