hybrid 7.0 on freebsd

Paul-Andrew Joseph Miseiko esoteric at teardrop.ca
Wed Mar 16 20:08:03 EST 2005

FreeBSD 5.3 is not old, it is rather recent.  I think you need to
re-evaluate your concept of age.

Filippo, you are running the "mkpasswd" tool that came with Hybrid?  If so
try different hash algorithms like Rachel suggested:

mkpasswd [-m|-d] [-l saltlength] [-s salt] [-p plaintext]
-m Generate an MD5 password
-d Generate a DES password
-l Specify a length for a random MD5 salt
-s Specify a salt, 2 alphanumeric characters for DES, up to 16 for MD5
-p Specify a plaintext password to use

Personally I would not use DES; especially if other people will be capable
of viewing the hash. mmm hash...

--
( Biggest security gap -- an open mouth )