How Do I Restrict Access to IRC Server

Pi pi at pihost.us
Wed Mar 30 22:01:44 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 04:54:34PM -0500, John.W.Hill at noaa.gov
carved this out of pure phosphors:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been very pleased so far w/ircd-hybrid. The install and
> configuration went very smooth and it has been very reliable. Is there
> some way that I can set up ircd-hybrid so that it will spawn some sort
> of authentication process (login) and restrict client access to the
> server? Or, even restricting access on a channel basis would be fine
> too.  I cannot find a "docs" site for ircd-hybrid. The link from debian
> is dead. Thanks in advance for any help.

A few ideas:

You can do IP-based access control by putting a deny{} block for 0.0.0.0/0 and
then making a separate auth{} block that is [kgd]line_exempt for the IP/DNS
names you want to allow in.

You can also possibly set the ircd to listen on 127.0.0.1 only and give shell
accounts or use network-based auth like pam_ldap or NIS, then let users use
irssi/bitchx/epic.

Also, auth{} blocks can have a plain-text password associated with them,
disallowing access unless the password is provided, but it must be shared across
all users.

> John

Pi

--
/*
 *   Should be panic but... (Why are BSD people panic obsessed ??)