ircd-hybrid-cg gone to alpha testing

Alan LeVee alan.levee at prometheus-designs.net
Mon May 2 21:39:40 EDT 2005

ircd-hybrid-cg has gone to ALPHA!
---

For the people that read the last mailing list thread concerning our
patchset this is an announcement that we have shifted into alpha testing of
our modifications to stock ircd-hybrid. However after long deliberations and
concerns we have opted out of including client SSL into this patchset due to
the possibility of unforeseen problems with our modifications and time
constraints. Including in this announcement is a list of features, bugfixes,
security fixes and other changes we have made to the stock ircd-hybrid
source code.

ircd-hybrid-7.0.3-cj4 features manifesto:
----

- Added m_services.c to implement a secure interface to IRC services.
- Added m_svsmode.c which brings the SVSMODE command into play for IRC
services and daemon.
- Added m_svsnick.c which brings the SVSNICK command into play for IRC
services and daemon.
- Added user mode +h (virtual host) which allows the user to have a CRC32
encrypted
  hostname based on Gary Brown's polymorphism algorithm.
- Added user mode +e (registered user) which defines the IRC user as
identified to services.
- Added channel mode +c (no-color) which prevents messages that contain
ASCII or IRC colour codes
  from being sent to the channel.
- Command SVSMODE allows the changing of certain user modes (currently only
+h and +e) which
  will be used in conjunction with NickServ and HostServ (Anope Only).
- Command SVSNICK allows the changing of user's nickname.
- Added togglable G: line voting requirement (#define USE_MAJORITY_GLINE) so
that networks
  can opt to either have the requirement of 3 IRC operators to issue a G:
line or not.
  (3 IRC operator requirement disabled by default)
- Added operator only user mode +Q (operator protection) which prevents
operators from having
  KILL, DEOP, KICK, GLINE, FORCEJOIN/PART/CYCLE, CHGHOST and CHGIDENT
executed on them.
----

ircd-hybrid-7.0.3-cj4 bugfixes manifesto:
----

- Fixed several bugs in the WHOIS command and the execution of WHOISACTUALLY
(moved from contrib to main source).
- Fixed configure scripts that were using outdated POSIX head/tail calls
(tail -1 instead of tail -n 1).
- Fixed WHOISACTUALLY which was allowing lusers to see the real hostname of
other spoof'd users (now only operators can do this).
- Fixed WHOISACTUALLY not traversing correctly on REMOTE WHOIS.
- Fixed WHOISIDLE which was only working for IRC operators and not lusers.
- Removed show_ip from WHOISACTUALLY sendto_one function which was redundant
to the output.
- Fixed some minor client issues in several source files that were driving
us nuts.
- Fixed MAP command so that ONLY IRC Operators may issue it. (lusers have no
reason to need the MAP command)
----

ircd-hybrid-7.0.3-cj4 security fixes manifesto:
----

- Fixed critical security hole in packet.c (CAN-2004-0605) that was not
applied for some reason.
- Fixed WHOIS to prevent lusers from getting the WHOISACTUALLY report for
other spoof'd users. (Only IRC Operators should have that).
----

ircd-hybrid-7.0.3-cj4 todo manifesto:
----

- Rewrite the nickname collision code to utilize SVSNICK instead of issuing
a KILL (highly annoying).
- Possibly add channel mode (+I) so that only registered users (+e) can join
the channel.
- Add q: lines which are similar to X: lines but forbid certain idents.
- Add the ability to read U: lines so that m_services.c doesn't rely on
modification of #define SERVICES_NAME.
----

There is still a great deal more testing that has to be done before this
patch is publicly available. If anyone has any suggestions, comments,
questions or ideas please feel free to e-mail me directly, through the
mailing list or contact me on irc.chatjunkies.org in #cservice. We are doing
the best we can to ensure that ircd-hybrid is just right for us but we're
only human (and there are only 2 of us working on this hehe).

Regards,

Alan LeVee
IRC Operator and Assistant Project Developer
ChatJunkies IRC Network
http://www.chatjunkies.org/
irc.chatjunkies.org
http://www.prometheus-designs.net/