IRCd-Hybrid with OpenSSL support in Debian: licences conflictresolution

Thomas Juberg Stensås ShadowMaster at shadow-realm.org
Sun Sep 3 13:24:40 EDT 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 18:54, Alan LeVee wrote:

> I'm going to just sneak into this conversation here for a bit. I agree
> with the hindrances that the use of OpenSSL causes on the Debian
> distribution as I'm a Debian user myself and helped develop the client
> SSL implementation to the IRCD-Hybrid 7.x branch however GnuTLS would
> not be a viable option Client <-> Server even though it is for Server
> <-> Server because the problem is the few IRC clients that do exist that
> support SSL, use the OpenSSL libraries for their implementation and
> given that GnuTLS is rather particular about it's handshaking methods I
> ran into problems getting them both to behave properly (though this may
> have changed).

This may or may not be usefull, but i am myself currently looking into OpenSSL
replacements due to licence issues and have after preliminary investigation
landed on yaSSL (http://www.yassl.com/)

It has an OpenSSL compactibility layer aswell as dual licence, one of which is
GPL.

--
Yours Sincerely

Thomas Juberg Stensås

-- What we do in life echoes in eternity

dangerous content by ShadowRealm mailsystems,
and is believed to be clean.