Logging

Henri Salo fgeek at fgeek.fi
Tue Mar 6 14:19:32 EST 2007

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:09:05 -0800
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:01:03PM -0600, Paul Edgar wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Am I missing something here,  in ircd.conf file, I have the logs
> > section setup as
> >

> > /*
> > * log {}:  contains information about logfiles.
> > */
> > log {
> >        use_logging = yes;
> >        fname_userlog = "logs/userlog";
> >        fname_operlog = "logs/operlog";
> >        fname_killlog = "logs/kill";
> >        fname_klinelog = "logs/kline";
> >        fname_glinelog = "logs/gline";
> >
> >        /*
> >         * log_level: the amount of detail to log in ircd.log.  The
> >         * higher, the more information is logged.  May be changed
> >         * once the server is running via /quote SET LOG.  Either:
> >         * L_CRIT, L_ERROR, L_WARN, L_NOTICE, L_TRACE, L_INFO or
> > L_DEBUG */
> >        log_level = L_INFO;
> > };
> >

> > However, when I look in the "logs/userlog" directory I see no
> > files.  In fact, none of the subdirectories under logs contain any
> > files.
> >
> > ircd.log is created in the 'log' directory.
> >
> > Do I not understand what this section is really for? I would guess
> > that all user info would be logged to "log/userlog" but maybe I am
> > wrong.
> >
> > Any Suggestions?
>
> I believe the files need to exist ahead of time.  In addition, userlog
> should be a file, not a directory.
>
>   # pwd
>   /usr/local/ircd
>   # rmdir logs/userlog
>   # touch logs/userlog
>
> Do the same for the rest of the logfiles, HUP ircd and see if logging
> begins working.  You'll also want to make sure the logs you touch
> above have the correct permissions for your setup.
>
> Ray

Directory structure doesn't matter so don't care about that 'pwd'.
INSTALL -file
(http://svn.ircd-hybrid.org:8000/viewcvs.cgi/ircd-hybrid/INSTALL?rev=577&view=markup)
says you at part 6 that you should touch those files if you want to
enable those logs.

So if you want to enable all logs you should type this command on
ircd/logs-directory: touch userlog operlog operlog kill kline gline

- ---
Henri Salo
fgeek at fgeek.fi
0407705733