Admin Module

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Sep 22 09:36:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, IRC.US.COM Administration wrote:

> as immoral as it is.. it 'can' be done. granted, it may be your server but
> unless they know you are doing it or even having it stated so in the motd..
> well, i wouldn't want to rest on a server that monitors my 'private'
> conversations. :)

It may not be immoral.  Companies running internal IRC networks are often
interested in this feature from an 'information capture' point of view[1].

So I what I'm saying is there is thin wedge where this is legitimate ;)

Of course morality (and maybe legaility) will require that this is stated
upfront.  I was asked about this recently by a company and recommended
that they _not_ do it as not desirable for some corporate information to
be transparently logged by a 3rd party (the sysadmins).

[1] I've also seen them like it due to a desire to check up on staff :(

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy