[hybrid] Debian 5 configuration irc server

Bjørn Ruberg bjorn at ruberg.no
Mon Oct 19 16:36:02 EDT 2009

Frank Ciappya wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>         where can I find a good tutorial about ircd-hybrid server
> configuration for Debian 5.
>
> Packege is installed, I have configured server name, ports (ports are
> open).
>
> When I`m trying to connect its saying.
>

> Connection refused.

At which level are you refused?

Telnet to the IP address and port (usually 6667) from where your IRC
client is, and see what the result is. If you get something like the
below four lines, the connection on the network level is OK and your IRC
server responds:

:hybrid7.debian.local NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
:hybrid7.debian.local NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
:hybrid7.debian.local NOTICE AUTH :*** Couldn't look up your hostname
:hybrid7.debian.local NOTICE AUTH :*** Got Ident response

If you get something like this, your server does not listen to the
expected IP address or TCP port:

Trying 192.168.50.50...

In this case, you should check whether the IRC server process is even
running, or whether you may have blocked it in a firewall.

A useful tip is to review the ircd.conf file - it is very well
commented. Also please take a look in /usr/share/doc/ircd-hybrid/ for
more information.

Good luck,

--
Bjørn