[hybrid] password ignored?

Egbert Jan van den Bussche egbert at vandenbussche.nl
Thu Nov 17 04:54:24 EST 2011

Hi, first post here. I'm playing with ircd-hybrid om a 10.04LTS  server
for internal use by the sysops who are using mostly ChatZilla from home.

The ircd version is 7.2.2 installed from source because we want to use
SSL/TLS sessions. That seems not enabled in the standard packet in the
Ubuntu repo. On top of that we would like to have passwords enforced.

I kept the config mostly standard and just added the sysop users in the
first "auth" block. This block seems to place the authorized users in
"opers" class. When I place a line "password =" in this auth block, I
would expect that the user has to give a the password. Not. He can login
as before and does not need to give a password.

When I login as an unknown user (and thus go thru the third auth block),
the password IS enforced when a I place a password line in there.

Is this normal behaviour? The doc (well.. what I could find and what is
in the examples) does not help too much.

Thanks for any advice!
Egbert Jan, NL