[hybrid] Question:How many users could ircd support max?

Tom Rons trons at telenet.be
Sat Apr 13 14:32:30 EDT 2013

Hank,

IRC daemons are single threaded, this means that the server process limited to utilizing a single CPU core. That is the first bottleneck, as soon as you max out that one CPU core, the server will start to lag. How much are we talking? Hard to say, back in the days that IRC was popular, spreading userload over several servers was a necessity due to hardware and software limitations. But I think you'll have a hard time as it is getting a speedy server loaded with enough users that you'll get to the point where you run into hardware limitations, given how it has decreased in popularity...

Then there's the problem of attacks. If you use a single server, you can avoid all of the problems of a network (inter-server lag, netsplits), but you will be vulnerable in terms of attacks as there is no distribution, just a single target.

Best regards,

Tom