TS6 ID's

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 20:10:09 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:57:21PM -0500, Rachel Llorenna wrote:
> I'm curious as to why the TS6 documentation
> (http://www.leeh.co.uk/ircd/TS6.txt) chooses to use only capital
> letters and numbers for ID's, effectively making them case
> insensitive. It would greatly increase the number of available unique
> ID's to use both upper- and lowercase, would it not? Then, you could
> reduce the number of characters and maybe save a few bytes of
> bandwidth per user.

The spec was designed on the principle that a clients UID must also be a
perfectly valid nickname, that way you can (if it was so desired) create a
new TS protocol that forced a nick change on a collision, rather than
issuing a KILL.  Hence why a SID must start with a digit, to avoid namespace
collisions with normal clients, whilst retaining validity of a nick.

That said, if you wanted to save bandwidth, whats the point in limiting to
alphanumerics?  You have a full ascii table and nearly all of it could be
used.  If you want to save bandwidth, you give it as many characters as
possible, not restrict it to some specific subset.

I find it somewhat amusing that im being lectured in basic maths from you.

--
-                       Lee H // anfl
-     Out Of Cheese Error.  Replace lesbian jam to continue.