m_wallops.c confusion

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 22:31:12 EST 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 01:42:32PM -0500, Rachel Llorenna wrote:
> If I'm understanding you correctly, you're complaining about operators
> using WALLOPS which is translated internally into OPERWALL? The
> ircd-hybrid team decided that only servers should be able to send
> WALLOPS, so all opers send OPERWALLs instead. Doing /notice
> $$server.name or $$*.network.tld is better since it informs everybody
> instead of just people that use the mode +w. Few people nowadays use
> +w. You could obviously change it yourself, but it's doubtful that the
> ircd-hybrid developers will change it in the stock tree.

hybrid hasnt allowed +w for users in a long long time, it did nothing but
confuse users.  I've lost track of the amount of times ive seen "STOP
HACKING ME!!!!" because lusers see "Remote CONNECT" in their status window
and dont know what it actually is.

Differentiating between them was pretty pointless, they were both only shown
to opers and (iirc) some servers at the time didnt allow WALLOPS from opers,
only OPERWALL.

The only thing the differentiation was really achieving was taking the piss
out of newbie opers who used WALLOPS rather than OPERWALL..

--
-                 Lee H // anfl