200 character channel name limit

Paul-Andrew Joseph Miseiko esoteric at teardrop.ca
Sun Mar 6 01:47:06 EST 2005

Based on that logic we might as well limit those 255 character file names
to 63 because only a few people actually use legitimate file names of said
length and we prefer to be selfishly restrictive based our own ideals.

Alas the world does not revolve around a single individual and
specifications define a set of requirements to hopefully satisfy a range
of individuals.  The argument "there is no need to support ridiculous
values" is highly relative.

In an ideal world there would be no such limitations imposed on the
individuals of a network, within reason.  The definition would be highly
dynamic.  The problem with such configurations is that assigning dynamic
memory is an annoying efficiency issue to programmers.

As for the jab at the 512 character limit imposed by the RFC, I personally
don't see people typing over 100 character lines on a consistent basis,
and even then most *good* IRC clients (like Icarus) are intelligent enough
to break up the line into sections according to the RFC imposed limit not
impacting the user at all.

--
ln -s /etc/passwd ~/.core; ping localhost &; killall -11 ping