200 character channel name limit

Rachel Llorenna rachies at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 22:59:30 EST 2005

While I fully understand that we would want to follow traditions and
RFC specifications as much as possible, I'm not sure it's terribly
useful to have such a high limit, when few people actually
legitimately use channels of that length. It certainly makes making a
MySQL table that much more difficult, since it has to be a (huge)
VARCHAR column.

It only has its minor bit of geek appeal and nothing more; I'm sure
even Wohali wouldn't be using that channel for normal
conversation/etc, although I do not know that for a fact. After all,
would it not effectively reduce the length of messages, as per the 512
character limit imposed by RFC 1459?

It's as scary and useless as having excessively long (30 characters?!
*pokes Unreal IRCd/Bahamut*) nicknames, though I suppose it doesn't
affect ircd developers.

--
Regards,

Rachel Llorenna (frequency)