Crypthost ip

Rachel Llorenna rachies at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:14:36 EST 2005

Hi Alan,

I am aware of the hostmasking features offered on said large networks,
but because ircd-hybrid is designed for EFnet, it has very little
dependency on/compatibility with centralized IRC services. Most users
of hybrid acknowledge this as a generally good thing. That said, it
would be difficult to spoof people's hostnames to
accountname.user.gamesurge if there are no services. I'm sure it can't
be difficult to add a module to do this, but it's something that the
hybrid developers/EFnet administration don't seem to want or care
about.

This is all idle speculation of someone that is not a member of
EFnet's staff, of course, so I don't know what will be planned in the
future for hybrid. As far as I know, using one-way hashing functions
on hostnames seems to be the most reliable non-services-oriented way
of masking real addresses.

--
Regards,

Rachel Llorenna (frequency)