Crypthost ip

Rachel Llorenna rachies at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:19:12 EST 2005

Rizon's ircd (plexusircd) is based on hybrid and has some (rather
ugly) hostmasking functionality. You can take a look at that if you
*really* want hostmasking on your network, but it's probably not too
secure. Unreal's implementation uses cloak keys and a bunch of other
stuff to ensure consistency across the network while decreasing the
chance of people figuring out the real hostnames through brute forcing
to find a collision.

Note that the hash function you use matters too; MD5 has been broken
and people have been alleging that they broke SHA-1, so your best bet
is to use those with cloak keys and then truncate them to a specific
length.

All in all, hostmasking like that is difficult and generally not
thought to be too useful, primarily because it attracts the wrong type
of people (warez/packet/script kiddies) to your network.

--
Regards,

Rachel Llorenna (frequency)