IRCd-Hybrid with OpenSSL support in Debian: licences conflict resolution

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 15:23:10 EDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 05:14:42PM +0200, Aurélien GÉRÔME wrote:
>  1. Your licence might add an exception to the GPL which allows
>     linking with OpenSSL.
>
>  2. IRCd-Hybrid might be rewritten to use GNUTLS instead of OpenSSL.

There is a third option that may be possible -- the SSL code could become
seperate.

You could have a helper that takes care of all the SSL side of things, like
servlink, meaning ircd itself never touches SSL.

You could then go for the GPL exception in the helper code, or distribution
like Debian could even theoretically distribute it seperately.

Whether that is more/less work than GNUTLS, is another matter..

--
-                 Lee H // anfl