IRCd-Hybrid with OpenSSL support in Debian: licences conflict resolution

Joan Touzet joant at ieee.org
Sun Sep 3 15:56:18 EDT 2006

The last time we had this discussion, and we checked into the code,
Lee's option turned out to be the least amount of work.  Given that
I've moved on to other projects, however, I cannot volunteer my time
to work on this bit of code.  And it's still a non-trivial
modification to the codebase, requiring dedication on someone's part
over the course of what's likely to be many weeks of development,
regression testing and beta releases.

Perhaps the best stop-gap solution is to set up a deb/deb-src like
repository, with sample apt.conf lines, that contains ircd-hybrid
binaries and source.  It would mean (temporarily?) removing
ircd-hybrid from the official debian source locations, but a record
over at http://www.apt-get.org/ and on the project's home page would
point people in the right direction.

It doesn't solve the problem, but it sidesteps it neatly, as many
other packagers (Java, anyone) have done.  And it'd take all of 30
minutes to get done.

-Wohali / Joan