IRCd-Hybrid with OpenSSL support in Debian: licences conflict resolution

Joshua Kwan joshk at triplehelix.org
Sun Sep 3 16:15:42 EDT 2006

Hi all...

First off,

I'd just like to vouch for Aurélien's work on the new packages so far.
He's done a good job and I think he now understands the legal situation
of OpenSSL thanks to your input. I have complete trust that he will do a
good job in my stead until some things here at college settle down.

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 03:56:18PM -0400, Joan Touzet wrote:
> Perhaps the best stop-gap solution is to set up a deb/deb-src like
> repository, with sample apt.conf lines, that contains ircd-hybrid
> binaries and source.  It would mean (temporarily?) removing
> ircd-hybrid from the official debian source locations, but a record
> over at http://www.apt-get.org/ and on the project's home page would
> point people in the right direction.

FYI, I'm not sure Aurélien mentioned it, but the Debian source package
contains a gentoo-style build option to enable SSL for personal builds.
Something like

# USE_OPENSSL=1 debian/rules binary

So with whatever's in Debian already it's as trivial as I can make it to
build your own SSL-enabled version of ircd-hybrid.

> It doesn't solve the problem, but it sidesteps it neatly, as many
> other packagers (Java, anyone) have done.  And it'd take all of 30
> minutes to get done.

Indeed. I suppose I could set up a semi-official repository of such SSL
enabled debs?

regards

--
Joshua Kwan