only open one port 6667 or more ports?

David Todd mobilepolice at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 00:01:09 EDT 2006

I'll be the first to answer this, primarily because I administrated Aniverse
IRC Networks during the period where Hybrid IRCd was still in in beta and
not seen on heavy production.

Operating an IRCd daemon to cope with 10,000 users is not going to
experience performance troubles with the software. Personally I've had
~14,280 users on the same IRCd, real users, not spawn bots or anything of
that nature used for testing.

The issue will lie with your kernel's ability to grant a process that many
open files (you have to make sure the configuration can handle it) and
additionally, the network card has to have enough memory to support that
many connections at once. We never surpassed 15 thousand on a single server
because the network card was onboard and it simply couldn't handle any more
connections.

So to recap:

The IRCD, properly configured (nothing special) with only one port or all
ports available will not experience performance issues assuming you have a
decently powerful machine (1Ghz, 256MB ram or more)

Your kernel does need to be able to support so many open files by a single
process. Some kernels support modifying this variable via sysctl, others
require a rebuild. Depends on your OS.

Your network card needs to be able to support that number of connections.
Remember it's about four (possibly six with BOPM) connections for every new
client connection, and two steady connections afterwards (one inbound port,
one outbound port) That's alot to demand from a basic onboard card, so make
sure you have something decent.

David