[hybrid] ircd-hybrid ssl not working/no errors logged

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Mon Aug 5 04:44:47 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 01:17:50PM -0500, Stephen Davidson wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I am trying to setup SSL Services on an IRC Hybrid server (it will be
> accessed over the Internet, traffic doesn't need to be world-readable).
>
> Have the following snippets set in the config file:
> serverinfo {
>      rsa_private_key_file = "/etc/ircd-hybrid/key/ircd.key";
>      ssl_certificate_file = "/etc/ircd-hybrid/key/ircd.pem";
>     ssl_dh_param_file = "/etc/ircd-hybrid/dhparam.pem";
>
> }
>
> listen {
>     flags = hidden, ssl;
>         host = "0.0.0.0";
>     port = 6697;
> }
>
> Everything starts up, no error messages in the log, but the SSL
> Connection won't complete.  NonSSL Connection works fine, but SSL/TLS is
> needed for the Internet support part and that's silently failing.
>
> ircd: version hybrid-1:8.2.21+dfsg.1-1(20161127_7917)

We'll need some more information to provide any useful tips.

When you say silently failing, what actually happens? Which IRC client
are you using to test and how does it behave when the failure happens??

What happens when you try: openssl s_client -connect server:port

What happens when you use, eg, irssi and /connect -ssl server:port
- irssi usually gives good diagnostic information.

Cheers,
Dominic.