Server in router DMZ

pcgod at chatjunkies.org pcgod at chatjunkies.org
Sat Dec 25 02:31:01 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 11:07:33PM -0600, Steven Nelson wrote:
> Okay, I must had done something stoopid in the config, but now it
> seems to almost be working okay, but I'm having two different issues.
> I'm trying to log on to it via the WAN address and the connection
> times out. A friend of mine has confirmed this by trying to log in
> from while physically and virtually outside of my network. I can nmap
> localhost and see that the port is open. When I try logging into
> localhost I get this:
>
>  Looking up localhost..
> --- Connecting to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) port 6667..
> --- Connected. Now logging in..
> --- *** Looking up your hostname...
> --- *** Checking Ident
> --- *** No Ident response
> --- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
> --- Closing Link: steven[unknown at 255.255.255.255] (You are not
> authorized to use this server)
> --- Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).
> --- Disconnected ().
>
> I understand that it can't figure out my hostname but I don't know how
> to fix it. I don't think my client (X-Chat 2.07) is broken because I
> can log into outside networks just fine.
> If you need more information from my config file I'll be more than
> happy to give it to you, but I don't think you would appreciate me
> copying the entire thing here.

Ok, first of all, what version of Hybrid are you running?
Second, it looks like you may be having problems with the resolver
library as it probably should be able to find that 127.0.0.1 is
localhost (at least I can resolve it to that).

It looks like it's denying your connection due to broken class{} block
or broken or missing auth{} block (Y: and I: lines if you're using
pre-7.0). What do those look like? Also, when your friend tries to
connect, does he get a similar error message or does it just hang
without displaying anything?

-- PC^God --