A question about logging

Joan Touzet joant at ieee.org
Sun Jun 24 15:23:52 EDT 2007

Generally, I try and avoid server-side logging that's not bot driven
and channel-specific.  There are many times where this is both desired
and desirable. However, there are situations that full server-based
logging makes sense:

  1) Research environment where all who access the server are informed
and sign consent prior to connection;
  2) Support environment a la suicide hotlines or community outreach
(though the former has its own special considerations;
  3) Corporate environments where servers are fully-restricted for
access and used to hold key conversations around R&D, internal support
channels, conferencing, discussions, etc. (Though, again, it is hard
to argue here that this shouldn't be channel-based...)
  4) Limited full-audit logging. In other words, one doesn't want
every PRIVMSG in the enviornment, but full logging of all
connect/disconnect/JOIN/MODE changes. It's hardest of all to envision
the need for this, but I can come up with one or two specific cases
where this type of logging is justified.

Finally, remember that Your Law Is Not My Law (YLINML), and that
what's right for human rights & the UN Charter may not be what's right
for your specific situation. Technology should enable folks to make
decisions for themselves -- but also come with enough warnings and
disclaimers to ensure that folks /read/ and /think/ about their
actions before they blindly implement.

Matheus, in your case, logging as a way to Cover Your Ass (CYA) in the
unlikely event of on line abuse is probably stretching it a bit. Be
sure you consult with your company's Legal department to ensure if
this is acceptable within your jurisdiction or not. (FYI, in the US,
there are laws other than the PATRIOT act that make this a fully legal
and justifiable action, as much as it sucks whopping great donkey
dick.)

-Joan