[hybrid] Issue while connecting 2 hybrid servers

Ariel Biener ariel at post.tau.ac.il
Mon May 14 06:21:46 EDT 2012

On 14/05/2012 13:08, Shazz of TRSi wrote:
> I "fixed" the issue in adding the reverse connect statement in the
> hybrid2 conf
> But does it mean to connect it is REQUIRED that both servers know each
> other ? It is impossbile that a new server connects to an existing one
> without being configured/restarted (in the existing one) ?

As far as I recall, two ircds must know each other in order to link.
IRCD<->IRCD links require
a trust relationship, unlike for example SMTP or HTTP, since each server
holds a state of the
network and can seriously fuck the network up (unlike smtp and http
which is client->server).

Quoting from IRC history (search Google):

"EFnet

In August 1990 the first major disagreement took place in the IRC world.
The "A-net" (Anarchy net) included a server named eris.berkeley.edu. It
was all open, required no passwords and had no limit on the number of
connects. As Greg "wumpus" Lindahl explains: /"it had a wildcard server
line, so people were hooking up servers and nick-colliding everyone"/.

The "Eris Free network", EFnet, made the eris machine the first to be
Q-lined (Q for quarantine) from IRC (wumpus' words again: /"Eris refused
to remove that line, so I formed EFnet. It wasn't much of a fight; I got
all the hubs to join, and almost everyone else got carried along."/).
A-net was formed with the eris servers, EFnet was formed with the
non-eris servers. History showed most servers and users went with EFnet.
The name EFnet lived only shortly, as soon as ANet had died, the name
EFnet became void too. There was one and only IRC left again."

Ariel